Anti-aging makeup can be one of the most challenging endeavors you will face as a makeup artist. This is because you need to reach a balance between the natural grace of age and making your client look as fresh as possible. In addition, certain color palettes and products only emphasize wrinkles and other signs of aging while others are true miracle workers. Thankfully, experienced professionals know how to do this and can provide sound advice on the subject.
Anti-Aging Makeup Tips
Define Your Goals
The first thing to do, like with any client is defining what the goals are. Does she or he want to look 20 years younger? That might be difficult to achieve. Do they want a more natural or heavier look?
You can explain what options are going to look better and provide ideas on colors, styles, and techniques you are going to use. Similarly, you will need information regarding the event and clothes your client will be wearing to make sure you are presenting appropriate options.
On a completely different note, you should also make sure what your professional goals as a makeup artist are. Do you want to learn more about anti-aging makeup because you will be specializing in this area? Or do you want to have a general knowledge of the subject so that you can adapt to whatever your clients need?
Attend a Makeup School
The best way to learn all about being a makeup artist and provide the best service to your clients is to attend a makeup school. This will allow you to expand your knowledge and learn professional techniques.
Even if you already did it before, you can take a refresher course specialized in anti-aging and mature makeup. This is because techniques continue to develop worldwide and the use of different products in new ways emerges through different trends every year.
By staying updated in your craft, you will be able to achieve better results and make your clients happier and turn them into repeat customers. They will also be more likely to refer you to their friends and relatives, expanding the reach of your business.
Buy a Professional Makeup Kit
If you don’t have it yet, then it’s time to get a professional makeup kit. This is instrumental for you to achieve the results you want. Some of the best items you need to have as part of your kit when it comes to anti-aging makeup include:
- Eye contour mask – You can use this before applying the makeup to improve some of the dryness and puffiness that can surround the eyes.
- Tinted moisturizer – This can be a great aid when your client wants a more natural look. Dry skin is a constant with age and by applying this type of moisturizing you will be getting a doubly positive result.
- Lightweight foundation – Just as with tinted moisturizer, lightweight foundation is perfect for mature skin as it will keep the look fresh.
- Cream blush – Instead of going for powder blush, use cream blush instead. It provides a more youthful look, and it works better with age lines and wrinkles.
- Lip liner – As long as you use it correctly, a good lip liner can give back some of the plushness of the lips that is sometimes taken by age. Make sure you don’t overdo it and everything will be fine!
Learn Anti-Aging Makeup Specificities
You will need to learn some specific techniques when it comes to anti-aging makeup. These include but are not limited to:
- Lining the lash line, which helps define the look and emphasizes the eyes.
- Exfoliating the skin before applying the makeup to make sure the result is not a heavy one.
- Lip preparation, which includes exfoliation and using a concealer that’s the same tone as the skin of the rest of the face.
- Appropriate illuminations to help in adding a more youthful look.
Anti-aging makeup includes skills that you are going to need to run a successful makeup artist business. This will allow you to be more versatile and widen the options you can offer to your clients. While more mature skins have specific challenges, as long as you know how to tackle them you will be able to achieve excellent results that would be satisfying for both you and the client.
Want to know more?
A pandemic doesn’t mean that you have to part with your favorite palette. Now is the perfect time to up your eye makeup game so here are 7 Eye MakeUp Tricks For When Wearing A Mask.